Senior figures from national and London government and the capital’s business, public and charitable sectors tasked with co-ordinating London’s move out of lockdown have held their first meeting today.
The London Transition Board is co-chaired by London Mayor Sadiq Khan and communities secretary Robert Jenrick and incorporates part of the London Resilience Panel’s Strategic Co-ordination Group, which has been the central emergency response body for the capital’s boroughs and other public bodies since before the start of the lockdown.
The board, which is expected to function until the end of the year, will operate in parallel with the separate London Recovery Board, which is concerned with the longer-term future of the capital.
There is some overlap between the memberships of the two boards, including Transport for London commissioner Mike Brown, Met Police commissioner Cressida Dick, NHS England London chief David Sloman and London Councils chair Peter John.
The board also includes Leeds City Council chief executive Tom Riordan, who has been appointed by the government to oversee local authority involvement in the emerging test-and-trace programme designed to further suppress Covid-19 transmission.
The full London Transition Board line-up in addition to Khan and Jenrick is:
- Peter John, Chair London Councils (Labour)
- Georgia Gould, Deputy Chair, London Councils (Labour)
- Teresa O’Neill, Vic Chair, London Councils (Conservative)
- Ruth Dombey, Vice Chair, London Councils (Lib Dem)
- Catherine McGuinness, Vice Chair London Councils (Ind)
- John Barradell, Chair, Covid-19 Strategic Co-ordinating Group
- Zina Etheridge, Chair, Chief Executives of London Councils
- Sir Peter Rogers, Chair, New West End Company
- Paul Drechsler, Chair, London First.
- Sir Adrian Montague, Chairman, TheCityUK
- Paul Scully, Minister for London
- Simon Pitkeathley, Chief Executive, Camden Town Unlimited
- Bharat Mehta, CEO, Trust for London
- Mike Brown, Commissioner, Transport for London
- Cressida Dick, Commissioner, Metropolitan Police
- David Sloman, NHS Regional Director For London, NHS England
- Baroness Bull, Vice President, Kings College London
- David Farnsworth Director, City Bridge Trust
- Tom Riordan, Chief Executive, Leeds City Council
The Mayor hailed “a real commitment from everyone involved to put politics aside and tackle all the key challenges we face as a city over the coming months”. Jenrick said he looks forward to “working closely with the board to get life and business in London back on track”.
OnLondon.co.uk is committed to providing the best possible coverage of London’s politics, development and culture. It depends on donations from readers. Click here to donate via PayPal or contact email@example.com. Thank you.